Amtrak Bike Box Required?

Home / Forums / Oregon Outback / Amtrak Bike Box Required?
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • nick
    May 13, 2015 at 7:27 pm #1453

OR Outback Founders! A huge thank you for sharing this ride and being an incredible source of information. Also thank you to the other riders for the great intel. Stoked to tackle this ride this year, aiming for PDX in 6. Quick question to the community about bikes on Amtrak. Amtrak phone rep says to box the bike, just wondering if this has been required on past trips between PDX and K Falls.

Cheers,
    Nick

Donnie
    May 15, 2015 at 8:54 am #1457

Yes, boxing has always been required – they don’t have walk on bike service for the long haul routes like this one. Expect to pay for the box and to check it, and to take of pedals, turn handlebars, etc. It’s helpful to have necessary tools handy when you arrive at the station. Also – no stuff in the box but the bike.

Also, if you’re heading down on the train from PDX on May 21 with the big group you can/should check your bike a day or two early or at a minimum show up way before your train leaves to get it sorted out. If everyone shows up at the last minute, not everyone is going to get themselves and their bikes on the train. This was a specific request from Amtrak.

Good luck, enjoy!

Donnie

nick
    May 17, 2015 at 6:08 pm #1464

Excellent, thank you for all the intel and heads up about the early drop!

Thank you Donnie.

Cheers,
    Nick

Time Traveler TD
    May 18, 2015 at 11:30 am #1468

To clarify, no stuff in the box except for the bike. So I I prepack my box with my bike bags stuffed, amtrak with open the box, inspect, and make me take it out?

Thanks!

Inertiaman
    May 18, 2015 at 12:41 pm #1469

I’ve traveled on Amtrak w/ the boxed bike multiple times, and they’ve never opened or inspected the box. While I can’t make guarantees, I doubt you’ll face an inspection if your box is a reasonable weight. In one case, I placed two road bikes in a single Amtrak box (the ones they stock at some stations are BIG) and no one questioned me at all, despite the 60 pound total weight of the box.

So I’d say pack however is convenient, but keep is reasonable, and you’ll be fine.

Time Traveler TD
    May 18, 2015 at 1:27 pm #1473

Great! Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Scott Sallay
    May 20, 2015 at 6:36 pm #1506

Just got back from Union Station to drop bike off. Amtrak has added an additional baggage car for tomorrow’s trip. You do NOT have to disassemble and box and you can simply show up tomorrow with bike.
    They ask you to fill out a waiver and pay $10 handling. I took care of that today, but it isn’t necessary. The baggage guy suggested arriving at least an hour before departure. If train is early they can get loading early. You do have to remove panniers.

Scott

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.