Really Hard 3-day Ride, Should've Taken 4

Home / Forums / Gunsight Ridge / Really Hard 3-day Ride, Should've Taken 4
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Chase Medina
    September 27, 2015 at 9:42 am #1634

This was a life-changing bicycle ride, full of spectacular eye-candy and rough terrain for the challenge seekers. Highly recommended. However, I don’t recommend rushing through this with flat pedals though…oops! (Ouch)

I finished this loop last Monday, 9/21 at 4:30pm on my Salsa Beargrease XX1 fat bike. I went solo with about 12.5 lbs. (including bags) of gear on my bike and 10 lbs. of gear (including pack) on my back. The trip reports were very accurate and helpful (thank you Oregonbikpacking.com and thank you Jamesgowen.com). Also, I found the Bike With GPS app to be invaluable and I used this exclusively to navigate. The offline maps I downloaded were right-on and knew when I was off the tracks and would “yell” at me if I were even the slightest bit off course. Highly indispensable; especially through the Barlow road area. My setup was perfect but I made a huge mistake and should’ve ran clipless pedals (rookie cyclist mistake) I overused the “pushing” muscle group on my dominant, left leg and struggled with an enlfamed patella after mile 80. Clip in, go light, and give yourself the recommended 4 days to soak in the scenery and take lots of pictures.

Below is a link to my trip data with photos. (Note: the Dalles to Dufer [mile 30] section is missing because I accidentally “saved” the ride there and had to start new tracks from Dufur to the finish)

Clicke here for Ride With GPS trip data on my trip 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by  Chase Medina.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by  Chase Medina.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by  Chase Medina. Reason: Ride with GPS link not working
    dundonian
    October 5, 2015 at 12:11 pm #1639

Nice job! Glad you enjoyed the trip as much as we did and that our trip report was helpful.

Cheers,
    Jason
    jasongowans.net

Chase Medina
    October 7, 2015 at 9:18 pm #1640

Thanks, Jason! No no, good job to you guys, you two made excellent time! You’re both top-notch athletes (or straight up masochists, lol) you must cycle allot.

While following your semi-fresh tire tracks all those miles I couldn’t stop thinking about how in the heck you guys cranked out that 60+ mile, 2nd day all the way up to Jean lake/gunsight area… No doubt that was a rough day. Props. Well done.

You were right about that long decent back down to the Dalles, words can’t describe how rewarding that was. Pure bliss.

Next time you two plan another bickepacking adventure in Oregon, you should PM me.

Peace be with you,
    ~Chase Medina

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.