route completed!

Home / Forums / Toll Road / route completed!
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • justin1138
    October 23, 2015 at 10:54 am #1642

Rode this route last Saturday, October 17th, with a friend visiting from California. It was an amazing, beautiful ride with plenty of challenge.

I mention the date because the day of our ride was the start of deer hunting season in the region. While I had visions of bullets whizzing over head as we pedaled through a blood bath of newly slain deer, this was not the case at all. I didn’t hear a single gunshot the entire ride. What it did mean was that the gate into Wayhauser land on this route (I forget if the gate was on Fairdale or Toll Road) was open for hunters to drive in. We passed somewhere around 15-20 pickups while on Wayhauser land, all on the ascent as it were. You could hear them coming from pretty far off, and nobody was driving fast at all. We would make sure the trucks had enough room to pass and then wave. Most waved back and everyone was happy. Thought I’d mention that if anyone is going out anytime soon.

That eight mile climb up Toll Road is no joke. My friend is part mountain goat, so he had no issues. For me though, I did have to walk a little for some of the steeper sections. The steepish descents coming down the other side were easily managed, a bit bumpy at times. Both of us on standard cross bikes. My friend on 35’s, myself on 40’s. For this route I wouldn’t say you need larger tires, but they wouldn’t hurt either.

The scenery and easy going ride along the Old Railroad Grade and Trask River Road are truly amazing, and worth the climb that sits right in the middle of these two sections.

Navigation was managed with the Ride With GPS app on my iPhone, which proved to be invaluable. There are a lot of roads out there, and it would be very easy to get lost. The provided route is spot on and made things that much simpler.

Oregon Bikepacking, thanks for the great website. This is such an amazing resource. I can’t wait to get out there on more of your rides!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.