Suitability of Novara Mazama?

Home / Forums / Gear / Suitability of Novara Mazama?
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • wanderer
    March 2, 2015 at 10:12 am #1207

I am interested in getting into bikepacking after doing ferry-aided 2-4 day bikecamping trips in the Seattle area. I’ve been bikecamping with a Novara Safari. I was thinking of getting a Novara Mazama to do some of the Oregon routes on this site. I could put thicker tires on it (it comes with 700×40). If more experienced riders have any feedback on this choice, I’d appreciate it! Thanks again for this awesome website.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  wanderer.
    Donnie
    March 3, 2015 at 7:58 am #1209

You can do a lot of dirt, gravel, forest service road type riding on a bike like this, but once you load it down it becomes a bit outmatched on the rougher stuff.

That being said, plenty of folks have ridden the Outback route on rigs similar to this, though I still don’t think it’s ideal.

It’s probably not adequate for most of our other routes – check out the “Bike & Tire Selection” for each individual route to get a better idea of the ideal bike.

If you really want to get into bikepacking, I’d stick with a more traditional rig, something similar to a Surly Ogre, Salsa Fargo, etc. Toss aside the mindset that skinny tires are better or faster, because they really aren’t for this kind of riding.

Good luck!

Donnie

wanderer
    March 3, 2015 at 8:19 pm #1210

Thanks, Donnie!

bwrightback
    October 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm #1641

Hi! I recently moved to Southern Oregon from Central California and I really want to get into bikepacking, too! Right now I’m doing a lot of single speed cyclocross and ss gravel riding, 35 miles at the most. If winter here is anything like it was last year, I should be good to keep riding through the “colder” months. However, I don’t like solo camping or riding out into the forest by myself. I have a somewhat irrational fear of mountain lions. Does anyone have any advice on how to find group bikepacking rides, especially in Southern Oregon?

Thanks!

Bri

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.