This year vs. last year

Home / Forums / Oregon Outback / This year vs. last year
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • timo
    May 31, 2015 at 6:02 pm #1513

I’m curious how the ride/route was this year as compared to last year. Was the turnout as expected – as in way too many, or was it fine. As someone who is looking on from afar I’m interested to know how things went. Perhaps Donnie will blog about this or maybe even some of you who did the ride will do so. For those of us who have not yet done the ride, it is quite interesting to read how it was for those of you who did. 🙂 Thanks!

telotaxis47
    June 4, 2015 at 10:34 am #1579

I second time’s request. And how were the mosquitos? Two of us head North from Klamath Falls on the Outback next Tuesday, 6/9. thanks!

ericohunter
    June 5, 2015 at 4:07 pm #1585

My feedback from this year vs. last year:

– Turnout seemed to be about the same. Of course, I think there were more folks who started early this year and were out there before the “official” start.
    – Weather on the first day was a bit rougher this year over last year. Last year I had a light shell on for just a little bit. This year is was shell goes on, shell goes off, shell goes on, shell goes off. One of my teammates that was a little out in front of us got stuck in the heavy rain/hail/heavy rain. But for the most part I was fine with the shell.
    – That rain helped make the red sauce one of the sweetest parts of the ride this year. Sailed through it on day 2 only stopping once to instagram it.
    – The cafe in Sprague River is still awesome. The convenience store there was great too (didn’t go there last year). Water was available to all.
    – The ladies that run the store in Beatty were super nice again this year. Allowed everyone to use their blue room, unlocked their water supply and their trash.
    – Water was plentiful at all of the marked places along the route with the exception of Sand Spring. There was very little there and not worth even stopping for, at least that’s what I was told by some birders as I rode by.
    – If there were mosquitoes, they didn’t find me or I didn’t find them.
    – The store in Silver Lake was super awesome this year. They bent over backwards to stay open late and open early to keep folks fed. There was also a local that opened up his barn to us to stay indoors on night one. That came in handy since it poured again that night.
    – The old third stream crossing coming down Trout Creek has been culverted and the road moved left. So if you’re counting creek crossings at that point to figure out where to stop for water (which I suggest you do), factor that in.
    – A resident in Ashwood (on the left corner of the intersection if you’re standing in front of the church) let everyone fill up on water this year.
    – The climb out of Ashwood is still long and still completely exposed.
    – Know when the places in Fort Rock open if you want to eat/drink there. One opens at 11:30 and the other opens at noon. If you’re leaving Silver Lake in the morning, you’ll get there before they open.
    – Ice cream store in Shaniko was less accommodating this year, but I heard she had a date “in town” with her husband. So I can understand her wanting to close up on time. The convenience store stayed open later than I think he wanted to, but he’s stocked with pretty much anything you need. Just don’t try to break a six pack without asking him first.
    – Once you make it to the top of Gordon Ridge, you’re pretty much done. After that it is nearly all downhill, even if it is into the headwind.

Have fun!

timo
    June 7, 2015 at 6:25 am #1586

Thanks for the report, ericohunter. I appreciate it and I’m sure many others do as well. It’s interesting that the rain helped the crossing of the red sauce. That’s cool. 20 miles of that stuff! I can only imagine. It’s also nice to know where you received help from the locals. Good info!

Thanks again.

telotaxis47
    June 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm #1612

I just read Donnie’s comments about the behavior of some participants in this year’s Oregon Outback event. His news deeply saddens me. Shame on the culprits. It was a special happening that I told friends about with pride; Oregon had a community of riders that didn’t need chaperones for their events.

Damage to the reputation of our riding community goes beyond those economically weak communities along the route that were eager to provide friendly services. It will extend to the thinking of our State Parks and Recreation Commission, Oregon’s Tourism Commission and Oregon’s state and local lawmakers.

This being said I also believe this type of damage can be repaired over time with good behavior and I will ride all routes with this in mind. Ride on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.