Weyerhauser Closed to Public

Home / Forums / Trask / Weyerhauser Closed to Public
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • willyb
    August 7, 2015 at 6:57 pm #1623

Rode the Trask Route last weekend (which was a great ride!) and upon reaching the entrance to Weyerhauser land encountered a sign saying that the land is now “Closed to the public due to fire danger.” My buddy and I decided to risk it and continued on. We were later spotted by some employees of Weyerhauser who after having turned around drove towards us. I waived and rode pass them while simultaneously realizing that they were flagging us down. They then put it in reverse and caught up with us and informed that we were subject to receiving a hefty ticket for trespassing. I said that we were following our GPS with out any other navigational options and that it had led us there. I mentioned that we were trying to make it to Tillamook and had no intention of camping on the land or starting any fires. He let us go.

Thought y’all should know.

Mark Guglielmana
    August 14, 2015 at 9:58 pm #1624

Just completed the ride today. Same thing, saw the sign, and kept going. Probably 20 different trucks came by, mostly loggers. I followed the advice of pulling fully off of the road and waved as they went by-no issues. One pickup stopped and rolled down the window to tell me that two wide load trucks were coming through. The weather report was for some rain today, perhaps they figured it was going to be wet enough not to worry about fires.

Several posts now that say the signage says the road is closed, a few that had people in trucks stop and give warning, but none following through. Ride at your own risk, but it would appear that the logging employees are looking the other way once they realize you’re not camping.

hazel
    August 18, 2015 at 9:56 am #1626

We also rode the Trask on Friday with no issues. Saw a few logging trucks and they didn’t seem to mind that we were there. I’m wondering if it’s more of an issue on the weekend when there’s no active logging and there are just Weyerhauser employees out monitoring the area?

Mark Guglielmana
    August 18, 2015 at 10:50 am #1627

Shoot, missed you. What time did you get to the end of pavement on NW Turner Creek?

I’m glad that Weyerhauser isn’t anal about the rules. Of course it’s hard to look a bicyclist that’s just riding through straight in the eye and say they’re a fire hazard when you’re sitting in a big diesel truck. I guess there’s not enough of a fire hazard for them to stop logging.

I know, I know, they’re trained professionals…I’m just happy to be able to ride through the unpaved roads, and don’t want to piss off anyone and make them reconsider their “soft” position on public access.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.